Saddle Mountain Hostel is in the village of Invergarry, in the heart of the Highlands of Scotland. We are 7 miles from Loch Ness, 25 miles from Fort William, 41 miles from Inverness and 50 miles from the Isle of Skye. Once you’re in Invergarry, you’ll find us on the Mandally road, just off the A82. We are the third house along, about 200 metres from the junction with the A82. From the Great Glen Way – follow the Invergarry Link on the west side of Loch Oich. It goes between Laggan Locks and Bridge of Oich and takes you past our front door! Public transport – Invergarry is served by regular Scottish Citylink bus services travelling up and down the Great Glen and to the Isle of Skye. Our nearest train station is Spean Bridge. Arrive here by train and then catch a bus. Car hire is available in Fort William and Inverness. You can hire bikes there too as well as in Fort Augustus.
The hostel is open daily from the start of April until the end of October. From December until the start of April we are open 5 days a week (Thursday to Monday) and are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Our winter opening hours are changing from November 2020 - we will update this question in April 2020.
The easiest way is to make a booking online on our website. You can also send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on +44 (0) 1809 501412.
- April to October – you can book online up to 6pm on the day you arrive or phone us on the day. Even if you don’t have a booking we may still have beds available, so please call in.
- December to March - please make your booking in advance so that we know you are coming. Online bookings on the day are not available. For same day bookings please phone us.
We accept cash, debit and credit cards (except American Express).
Yes, the price of your first night’s stay is payable at the time of booking to confirm your reservation. The balance is payable on arrival.
If you have to cancel your booking the following cancellation charges apply:
- More than 3 days before the start of check-in on your arrival date - 20% of the total price or the cost of the first night’s stay (whichever is the lower amount). If this is less than the cost of your first night’s stay (the deposit already paid) we will refund you the difference.
- Between 3 days and 1 day before the start of check-in on your arrival date - the cost of your first night’s stay. There will be no refund of the deposit already paid.
- Less than 1 day before the start of check-in on your arrival date or you don’t show up - the cost of your first two night’s stay (if your stay was for more than one night). The debit or credit card that you used to make the booking will be used to collect any additional amount due.
You can check in between 4.30pm and 10pm.
The latest check out time from the hostel (not just your bedroom) is 10am.
Yes, the hostel (including bedrooms) is closed to all guests between 10.30am and 4pm. If you are staying with us for more than one night you may stay in the hostel until 10.30am and return after 4pm.
Yes, you can book the whole hostel for the exclusive use of your group. Please email or phone us to discuss your requirements. A non-refundable deposit equal to 20% of the total price is payable at the time of booking to confirm your reservation. The balance is payable 8 weeks before your arrival date. Failure to make payment on time will be treated as a cancellation. If your arrival date is less than 8 weeks from the time of booking full payment is required. If you have to cancel your booking the following cancellation charges apply:
- More than 8 weeks before your arrival date – 20% of the total price
- Between 8 and 4 weeks before your arrival date – 50% of the total price
- Less than 4 weeks before your arrival date – 100% of the total price
No, both our shared dormitory rooms are mixed gender.
Yes, young people are welcome to stay at Saddle Mountain Hostel. We wish to provide safe and appropriate accommodation for all our guests so please read the information below before you book.
- Any guest under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
- We have three private rooms which are suitable for families and groups with young people under the age of 16.
- Young people under the age of 16 are not allowed to stay in our shared dormitory rooms unless all the beds in the room are booked by the family or group.
- 16 and 17 year olds may stay in shared dormitory rooms (mixed gender) if accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
No, we do not allow camping in our garden. There is a campsite in the village if you prefer to camp.
No, our facilities are for the use of the guests staying in the hostel. You can pay the full rate to stay in the hostel and use its facilities but sleep in your campervan, if you prefer.
No, we do not accept stag and hen parties at the hostel. If you do not comply with this we reserve the right not to honour your booking. Your booking will be treated as a cancellation and you will be charged in accordance with our cancellation policy.
No, the nearest cash machine is in Fort Augustus.
Yes, we have a large and fully equipped kitchen for our guests to use.
Glengarry petrol station in Invergarry has a small shop selling basic supplies. You’ll find small shops in the other villages along the Great Glen too. There are larger supermarkets in Fort William, Inverness, Kyle of Lochalsh and on the Isle of Skye.
There are several options for eating out.
- The Invergarry Hotel, Emily’s Byre at Rokeby Manor and the Glengarry Castle Hotel are all in Invergarry.
- Slightly further afield, the Eagle Barge Inn is at Laggan Locks (a few miles south of the hostel) and there are pubs, hotels and takeaways in Fort Augustus (7 miles north of the hostel).
No, we do not allow dogs, other than assistance dogs, to stay inside the hostel. If you are visiting with an assistance dog we would be grateful if you could let us know before you arrive.
No, smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the hostel. You can smoke outside but away from the hostel doors and windows. We have provided an ashtray for your cigarette ends. We do not allow the use of E-cigarettes inside the hostel.
We love walking in the mountains. We also love cycling. Mountains have saddles. So do bikes. That’s why!